Below you’ll find a list of special opportunities for working with FYW in the 2018–2019 academic year.
Please click on a position title to open the application form.
Assistant Directors (ADs) contribute to both the Storrs campus First-Year Writing Program and the statewide Early College Experience (ECE) English Program. The ADs provide teaching support for instructors and administrative support for these two connected programs, while helping to articulate and advance program visions for the teaching of first-year writing. For both the FYW Program and the ECE English Program, the ADs:
- consult regularly with instructors about assignment development, grading, academic integrity, and classroom management;
- collect and sort teaching materials;
- collect and manage student materials;
- develop support materials for instructors in the program, which in the past have included the FYW and ECE English websites, the Instructor Resource Workbook and Introduction Week workshops, weekly digest emails, and professional development workshops;
- work on the new curriculum pilot study;
- assist in developing the new curriculum;
- co-direct the annual Conference on the Teaching of Writing and the Spring ECE English conference.
As an assistantship, this is a combined 20-hour per week position. The majority of those hours are spent in the office, including attendance at a weekly staff meeting and meetings/correspondence with the ECE English faculty coordinator. Some hours may be spent checking email over the weekend or helping to coordinate events.
Eligibility: Any UConn English graduate student eligible for a twenty-hour assistantship
How to Apply: Submit a brief letter of interest and CV to the online application form by Monday, December 17th at noon. Interviews will take place in-person or over Skype later that week. Questions can be directed to email@example.com.