Our Certificate in the Teaching of Writing is designed to encourage instructors to better their teaching and to reflect on their pedagogies in the context of a larger teaching—and writing—community. Towards that end, our immediate goals for the Certificate are as follows:
- To encourage continued professional development for teachers of writing within the First-Year Writing program.
- To improve already existing programs and policies within First-Year Writing and to continue to implement programs that both improve the quality of instruction for UConn students and the quality of administrative support for graduate instructors.
- To recognize, codify, and institutionalize work already being done by First-Year Writing TAs within the FYW program.
Though all applications are reviewed by the Co-Directors of the First-Year Writing program, this Certificate is not intended to be a mark of their approval or disapproval. Instead, the intent behind the Certificate is to encourage the active, ongoing reassessment of teaching goals and priorities on the part of all First-Year Writing instructors and administrators.
For more information on the certificate requirements, follow these links:
- Brief Certificate Checklist
- Detailed Certificate Requirements (update coming soon)